Here's an aspect of American culture that probably won't make it very big in
other countries. And they should feel lucky for that.
I was riding to work yesterday when I observed a female driver cut right in
front of a pickup truck causing him to have to drive on to the shoulder to avoid
hitting her. This evidently angered the driver enough that he hung his arm
out his window and flipped the woman off.
"Man, that guy is stupid" I thought to myself.
I always smile nicely and wave in a sheepish manner whenever a female
does anything to me in traffic and here's why:
- I drive 48 miles each way every day to work, that's 96 miles each day.
- Of these, 16 miles each way is bumper-to-bumper.
- Most of the bumper-to-bumper traffic is on an 8-lane highway so if you
just look at the 7 lanes I am not in, that means I pass something like a
new car every 40 feet per lane. That's 7 cars every 40 feet for 32
- That works out to be 982 cars every mile, or 31,424 cars.
- Even though the rest of the 32 miles is not bumper-to-bumper, I figure I
pass at least another 4,000 cars.
- That brings the number to something like 36,000 cars I pass every day.
- Statistically, half of these cars are driven by females. That's
- In any given group of females, 1 in 28 has PMS. That's 642.
- According to Cosmopolitan, 70% describe their love life as
dissatisfying or unrewarding. That's 449.
- According to the National Institute of Health, 22% of all females have
seriously considered suicide or homicide. That's 98.
- And 34% describe men as their biggest problem. That's 33.
- According to the National Rifle Association, 5% of all females carry
weapons and this number is increasing.
That means that every single day, I drive past at least one female
that has a lousy love life, thinks men are her biggest problem, has seriously
considered suicide or homicide, has PMS, and is armed.
Ergo, smile nicely and wave in a sheepish manner.
(Found in various places on the web.)